Naturopathy is a practice involving elements of Homeopathy, Ayurveda, Hydrotherapy, Acupuncture, and similar non-toxic alternative medicine practices to treat the entire being and encourage the self-healing process. Naturopaths believe that the human body has a strong and natural healing ability which can be used to fight against most diseases. The six basic principles of naturopathic treatment are as follows:
- Facilitate and augment the body’s self-healing process
- Identify and treat the cause rather than the symptoms
- At no point should any naturopathic treatment cause any harm to the patient
- Educate the patients an encourage them to take responsibility of their health
- Aim to treat the entire being of the patient
- Whenever possible, prevent the disease rather than curing it
Naturopathy and Cancer or Naturopathic Oncology
There is no evidence that naturopathy alone can treat Cancer. However, most Naturopathic Oncology providers use naturopathic principles and treatment to provide supportive therapy services. Some benefits offered are:
- Regulation of metabolism and Digestion during the Cancer treatment
- Management of side-effects like nausea, fatigue, etc.
Some treatment options suggested by naturopaths to Cancer patients are:
- Herbal and botanical preparations
- Dietary supplements
- Homeopathic remedies
- Physical therapy (including exercise, massage, etc.)
- Lifestyle counseling
- Chiropractic care
It is important to note that you must opt for Naturopathy along with another form of treatment. Find a Naturopath who has experience in dealing with Cancer patients and discuss with your doctor before you start any therapy.
Naturopathic Centers in India
- Balaji Nirogdham, New Delhi
- National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune
- Nirvana Naturopathy and Retreat, Igatpuri
- Soukya – Dr Mathai’s International Holistic Health Center, Bengaluru
- Nimba Nature Cure, Mehsana
References & More Information
- Credit: Beyond Conventional Care Therapies
- ZenOnco.io Integrative Oncology Cancer Care
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. Definition of Naturopathic Medicine. Viewed September 30, 2018.
- Cancer Center: Naturopathic medicine.
- Canadian Cancer Society: Naturopathic Medicine
- Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians (OncANP)
- Naturopathic Doctor – Dr Kirsten Smith: Naturopathic Cancer Treatment: Integrative Adjunctive Cancer Care.
- Kust D, Samija I, et al. Use of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in Patients with Malignant Diseases in High-Volume Cancer Center and Future Aspects. Acta Clin Croat. 2016 Dec;55(4):585-592. doi: 10.20471/acc.2016.55.04.08.
- Legenne M, Chirac A, et al. Perception of naturopathy for female patients with metastatic gynecological cancer: A qualitative study. Palliat Support Care. 2015 Dec;13(6):1663-8. doi: 10.1017/S1478951515000553. Epub 2015 May 28.
- Standish L J, Dowd F, et al. Do Women With Breast Cancer Who Choose Adjunctive Integrative Oncology Care Receive Different Standard Oncologic Treatment? Integr Cancer Ther. 2018 Sep;17(3):874-884. doi: 10.1177/1534735418769007. Epub 2018 Apr 27.
- Seely D, Ennis J K, McDonell E, Zhao L. Naturopathic Oncology Care for Thoracic Cancers: A Practice Survey. Integr Cancer Ther. 2018 Sep;17(3):793-805. doi: 10.1177/1534735418759420. Epub 2018 Mar 21.