Diet can play an important role in the prevention and cure of diseases. There are hundreds of regimens available which are commonly used as alternative cancer diets like a macrobiotic diet, Gerson diet and regimen, Gonzalez diet and regimen, raw food diet, alkaline diet, etc.
The Gonzalez Regimen is especially beneficial for patients suffering from pancreatic cancer. It benefits patients with other types of cancer too. The treatment protocol is created individually for each patient.
The theory behind the Gonzalez Regimen
The Gonzalez Regimen is based on the belief that toxins which are present in the environment and processed foods cause the formation of cancer in the body. These toxins prevent the correct functioning of important body processes which eventually allow the cancer to develop. Therefore, if these toxins are removed from the body, then the cancer will stop growing. This regimen is designed separately for every patient’s metabolic type.
The Gonzalez Regimen can be broken down into three broad segments:
The Gonzalez Diet
Individualized dietary recommendations are provided to each patient based on his/her metabolism. The common factor across all diets is the consumption of organic foods and fresh vegetable juice, while avoiding synthetic and refined foods like white flour, white sugar, etc.
It primarily relies on plant-based sources and even allows patients to eat eggs, yogurt, and milk occasionally. However, some diets can also require eating red meat 2-3 times a day.
The Gonzalez Supplements
Supplement protocols are also individualized for each patient based on their ailment and biochemical makeup. The supplements include pancreatic enzymes along with a variety of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc. Overall, cancer patients consume around 130-175 supplement capsules in a day.
While treating his patients, Dr. Gonzalez found most of them were facing symptoms like muscle aches, pains or malaise. He felt that most of these symptoms were due to the body’s repair process which was releasing different kinds of wastes. Hence, he included detoxification procedures like coffee enema to enhance liver function and help the body excrete the metabolic wastes.
While there were many studies conducted which proclaimed the Gonzalez Regimen ineffective, in his book What Went Wrong, Dr. Gonzalez has highlighted the flaws in the design of the study leading to unfavorable results. Dr. Linda L. Isaacs also wrote an article called Research Battles highlighting the problems of mismanaged trials.
Some other Diets and Metabolic Therapies includes:
References & More Information
- Credit: Beyond Conventional Care Therapies
- ZenOnco.io Integrative Oncology Cancer Care
- Isaacs LL Research battles: survival tips from a veteran. Integrative Medicine: A Clinician’s Journal (Encinitas). 2015 Oct;14(5):30-2.
- Individualized Nutrition Protocols – Dr. Linda L. Isaacs – https://www.drlindai.com/
- The Nicholas Gonzalez Foundation – https://thegonzalezprotocol.com
- Concer.gov: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/gonzalez-pdq
- Kelley Metabolic Protocol – https://www.cancertutor.com/metabolic/
- The Gonzalez therapy and cancer: A collection of case reports –http://www.alternative-therapies.com/at/web_pdfs/gonzalez1.pdf
- World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research: Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective
- Ting Bao, MD: The Role of Integrative Therapy in Cancer Care
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- National Cancer Institute: Office of Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Five to Thrive Live: Keto for Cancer
- American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine and Metabolic Medical Institute: Integrative Cancer Therapy Fellowship Modules
- Rebecca Katz, MS, with Mat Edelson : The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen, Second Edition
- Jessica Iannotta and Susan Bratton: The Meals to Heal Cookbook
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Raymond Chang, MD: Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail