Ginger or the root of the plant Zingiber officinale is used in culinary recipes around the globe.
Further, traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda has been using ginger to treat a variety of conditions for thousands of years. Ginger is known to treat conditions relating to an upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. It is also known to have spasmolytic properties which soothe and relax the intestines.
Ginger and Cancer
Ginger root has the following properties:
Cancer patients benefit from ginger in the following ways:
- It can induce apoptosis or programmed cell death of cancer cells.
- By inhibiting IkBa Kinase activation, it supports apoptosis.
- It also regulates the production of the BAX gene which regulates apoptosis.
- It down-regulates the BCL-2 proteins, pro-survival genes like BCL-XL, MCL-1, Survivin, and cell-cycle regulating proteins like Cyclin D1 & Cyclin-dependent Kinase 4 (CDK4).
- It inhibits the expression of c-Myc and hTERT.
- The expression of CDK inhibitor, p21 increases.
- It abolishes RANKL-induced NF-kB activation
In non-medical terms, here are the benefits of ginger in cancer treatment:
- It offers radio-protective effects to healthy tissues during conventional cancer treatments.
- Stimulates antioxidant pathways
- Induces apoptosis of cancer cells
- Inhibits tumor cell growth
- Suppresses metastasis
- Inhibits inflammation
- Enhances chemotherapeutic drugs
- Healthvit Ginger Powder 250Mg – 60 Capsules – Amazon Link
- Sunthee (Ginger) Powder – 200gm babji traders – Amazon Link